Building 3 has seen a myriad of uses since its construction in 1880, serving as everything from a holding area for finished product before shipping to even housing a temporary bottling line. Today, it serves as the production area for our famous Peychaud's and Regans' Bitters, known by bartenders everywhere as an essential ingredient in many fine cocktails served all over the world.
The Elmer T. Lee Clubhouse–in recognition of his 50 years of dedication and contributions to making this one of the finest distilleries in the world. Accommodating groups from 30 to 200 guests, the Clubhouse's rustic veranda and balcony overlook an expansive tree-shaded courtyard bordered by an ornamental stream and floral gardens.
Constructed in 1881 as whiskey Warehouse A, the building housed barrels of aging whiskey for several decades. Today, it serves as the Visitor's Center, gallery, and gift shop. In 2015 the Visitor’s Center went through a vertical expansion, doubling its square footage. It now houses four tasting bars on the upper level and memorabilia from the extensive Distillery archives. The Single Oak Room, also located upstairs, can be rented for private events.
Built in 1952 to house the two millionth barrel of whiskey produced at the Distillery since Prohibition, this is the smallest bonded aging warehouse in the world. Licensed to hold just a single barrel, the warehouse is now home to special barrels as they age and has held each successive millionth barrel produced by the Distillery.
Hand-selected corn from local Kentucky and Indiana farms, along with other grains such as rye, wheat and malted barley are brought in daily by the truckload. It is here that the grains are carefully inspected, measured and tested to ensure they meet the rigid standards for quality, moisture and composition. The newly received grains are then transported to the hammer mill where they are milled to exact specifications.
We source all of the corn used to distill whiskeys at Buffalo Trace from producers that certify to us that they are supplying non-GMO crops.
Built in 1948 as a mechanic’s garage, Thunder Gas features two working 1918 Boyle Dayton gas pumps, restored for Buffalo Trace by Rick Dale of the History’s Channel’s TV show “American Restoration.”
Today Thunder Gas functions as a work shop for the Distillery team responsible for performing light carpentry, buildings and grounds maintenance.
The Distillery is located on the banks of the Kentucky River. Its water is fresh and rich with minerals from its natural filtration through Kentucky limestone. The river was also used by Harrison Blanton in the early 1800s to ship whiskey to New Orleans.
Buffalo Trace Distillery was named a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of the Interior in 2013, sharing this distinction with less than 3,000 other properties in the United States. The Distillery is described as a “rare, intact example of a Distillery operating before, during, and after Prohibition.”
Experimental Warehouse, or “Warehouse X,” was built in 2013 to explore the limits of environmental influences on the quality of whiskey. Constructed of four independent barrel chambers plus one open air chamber, Warehouse X allows for experimentation into variables such as temperature, humidity, air flow, sunlight and more.
The botanical gardens at Stony Point were carefully refurbished in 2012 and 2013 to look similar to what Colonel Blanton originally built in the 1930s. They contain water features and stone benches, offering a peaceful and tranquil setting in which to relax.